Mark Spratt, Edie Markovich, Lauren Grous, Dr. Steven Minaglia, and Dan Worden huddle up during the 3-day, 3-stage swim 'Au I Na Mokupuni Ekolu Endurance Challenge Invitational where they swam the 14.9-km Kalohi Channel between Molokaʻi and Lānaʻi on 27 August 2021, the 14.1 km Auau Channel between Maui and Lānaʻi on 28 August 2021, and the 13.5 km Pailolo Channel between Maui and Molokaʻi on 29 August 2021 in the state of Hawaii]] Maui is the second-largest of the Hawaiian Islands at 727.2 square miles (1,883 km2) and is the 17th largest island in the United States. Maui is part of the state of Hawaii and is the largest of Maui County's four islands, bigger than Lānaʻi, Kahoʻolawe, and Molokaʻi. In 2010, Maui had a population of 144,444, third-highest of the Hawaiian islands, behind that of Oʻahu and Hawaiʻi. Kahului is the largest census-designated place on the island with a population of 26,337 as of 2010.
Wailuku is the seat of Maui County. Other significant places include Kīhei, Lahaina, Makawao, Pāʻia, Kula, Haʻikū, Hāna, Kāʻanapali, Wailea, Makena, and Kapalua.
Maui is the site of many ocean swims including the:
- Maui Channel Swim, an ocean swimming relay competition between the islands of Lanai. Each team has six swimmers who rotate at fixed intervals. It is one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims and annually named as one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims by the World Open Water Swimming Association.
- Wailea Molokini Challenge
- ʻAu I Nā Mokupuni ʻEkolu Swim Challenge
Tiger Shark Tracking Around Maui
Hawaiʻi Tiger Shark Tracking provided by PacIOOS or the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System.
Maui Nui Triangle Swim
Au I Na Mokupuni Ekolu Endurance Challenge Invitational
- 7 swimmers swam the three channels between Maui, Lanai and Molokai in Hawaii on three successive days between 12-15 September 2019 in the Au I Na Mokupuni Ekolu Endurance Challenge Invitational:
- Day One across the 14.9 km Kalohi Channel between Lanai and Molokai completing in 6 hours 4 minutes 40 seconds
- Day Two across the 13.5 km Pailolo Channel between Maui and Molokai completing in 5 hours 50 minutes 10 seconds
- Day Three across the 14.1 km Auau Channel between Lanai and Maui completing in 7 hours 47 minutes